|If you put all these suckers in one basket, they'd break. Remember that.|
A Dozen Random Thoughts
1. Bringing small children to New York City, particularly anywhere near Times Square, seems not only risky, hassling and difficult but possibly not so bright. Times Square is overstimulating for most adults- can you imagine what it's processed like in a kid's brain? Mostly though, I'm just annoyed by the approximately 75 times in 24 hours I had to screech abruptly to a stop to avoid trampling a munchkin. Let's move the Disney Store to the Upper West Side and leave Times Square for poorly dressed grown-up tourists.
2. 100 First Dates is just as lovely, funny and charming in person as she is in her blog. (Additionally, props to me for knowing she would be.) She is also quite thoughtful, choosing a spot called Bell, Book & Candle where they grow produce hydroponically on their roof for our dinner. It was my most predictable blind "date" in months and, therefore, also least disappointing.
3. Acela train=good. Regular "Northeaster"= 4 hours of rail turbulence, a funky smell, kids running the aisles and breaking down in isolated New Jersey countryside with no power for 30 minutes. Never. Again.
4. My one night in NYC was spent in the Kimpton Muse hotel which is highly, highly recommended. Despite being (way too close) to Times Square, it was quiet, easy to navigate from and my very affordable (bed-bug-free) room also had this:
|Yes, this is indeed a private terrace.|
6. While we're on men, I'd like to reiterate that forming a plan is sexy. In case you've forgotten, women want you to BE THE MAN. (Go read it again.)
7. I am so tired of pork belly in a big slab on a plate unless it is the best f-ing pork belly I've ever tasted. Would you lay a strip of bacon across a mound of arugula and call it a dish? No. So, stop doing it with pork belly. Please. It's ruining the arugula.
8. I never really tweet using the @LHBaconHeals handle. I mostly use my @FoodFightersUS account. After this weekend's food conference, I acquired a shitload of new followers who think my tweets are going to be all foodie and professional. I'm taking bets on how many will flee the first time I tweet about a bad date or unleash my potty mouth. In fact, it will probably happen as soon as I tweet this post. "What the F is this?! Yesterday, she was tweeting about the ratio of farmers under 35 to those over 65." Welcome to my world, new followers.
9. Things I have come around on recently: emoticons (still should be used with caution, but no longer a deal breaker), spooning (but only when you're talking or semi-awake...having someone wrapped around you all night still seems smothering), green beans.
10. This is so horrible to admit, but sometimes I fantasize more about having a housekeeper than a boyfriend. Especially when it's dog-shedding season.
11. Last week, I unexpectedly received two very thoughtful pieces of mail from men. One was a note & a gift card from some guy neighbors (brothers) taped to my door. It was signed by both of them and a totally unnecessary, and therefore very thoughtful, gesture. I bet their girlfriends are very, very happy women. Women dig it when you're kind and gallant.
12.On Friday, I received an OkCupid email from an otherwise attractive 40-year old man that said this (and only this): "Hey Girl! Very pretty! Love your hair, is it the same length?" WHY?!
Baker's Dozen: All it takes is one good egg. And I know for a fact there are some out there.
You probably expect an egg recipe here. But that doesn't mean you're going to get one. Life is disappointing sometimes. Maybe go make this frittata again. I've got to go look for my egg.